Finally found my home: Adnan Sami

Pakistani singer Adnan Sami had submitted an application to the Indian home ministry on May 26, 2015 requesting an exemption from deportation on humanitarian grounds. The singer was granted permission to stay in the country for an indefinite period following his appeal to authorities.

According to a report by Hindustan Times, the 46-year-old singer is under the impression that Pakistanis are not very happy about his stay in India and they are burning his effigies.


“I have heard that people in Pakistan are not very happy with this news and are burning my effigies. But I’m happy that I have finally found my home,” said Adnan Sami.

The Lahore-born artist had first arrived in India on March 13, 2001 on a visitor’s visa with the validity of one year which was issued by the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.

During his stay in India, the singer received several visa extensions but ran into a roadblock when Pakistan refused to renew his passport. This forced him to approach the government in New Delhi with the request to legalise his stay in the country.

“I’m very thankful to the Indian ­government for considering my plea. But I’m waiting for the day the government grants me ­citizenship of this country. Right now I’m from no man’s land because my Pakistani ­citizenship has been renounced now,” said Sami, who is ­unbothered the reactions from his native country.

“The love, adulation and warmth that I got from India is the reason why I chose this country. People all over the world know me as an Indian artist. I could have chosen any other country and wouldn’t have had to go through problems claiming my citizenship. But it is India where my heart is and has always been,” he said.
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment